At JB Morrison, we aim to provide top-quality legal services to all clients. To make the process for those needing legal aid as simple and painless as possible, here is a short guide as to what you can expect from our family law team.

Do I qualify for Legal aid?

Legal aid is income and asset tested which means your income must fall within the financial eligibility threshold. The income threshold varies based on the number of dependents (children and/or partner ) you have. The children do not have to live with you to qualify as being a dependant.

Income includes wages, and/or salary, as well as any benefits, interest or income received from a trust and any child support payments you may receive.

Information about the maximum levels of income can be found here: Or alternatively, you can give one of our family lawyers a call to discuss whether you are financially eligible for legal aid.

How do I apply for legal aid?

You can find the legal aid application here: or alternatively, you can collect a form from reception.

You may be required to pay a Legal Aid User fee of $50 including GST. We will let you know if this applies to your situation and how this can be paid.

What family law services can I access with legal aid?

Legal Aid is available for the care of children matters, family violence issues, relationship property and Oranga Tamariki matters.

It is important to note that Legal aid is not available for matters such as dissolution proceedings. It is also not available for matters that do not involve court proceedings, such as having a Will completed.

We also provide advice about the care of children matters through the Family Legal Advice Service (FLAS). This service is intended to provide you with initial advice (prior to any Court proceedings) and help you understand your rights, and responsibilities under the law and discuss the options available to you to assist with any child care issues you may have. It can also be helpful to get initial advice before participating in the mediation process. This service is also income tested and is assessed in a similar way to Legal Aid.

What do I need to bring to my first appointment?

You will need to bring a form of current ID to your appointment, our preferred forms of identification include:

  • NZ Drivers License
  • NZ Firearms License
  • The Kiwi Access Card (This card has replaced the 18+ card. The Kiwi Access card is available to both NZ nationals and foreign visitors and may be used as evidence of age and identity throughout New Zealand)
  • NZ or overseas passport

If you do not have one of the above, we will accept two other forms of ID, such as a credit card alongside a birth certificate, or community services card.

You will also need to bring proof of your income to your appointment. We accept any of the following:

  • A letter from Work and Income
  • A letter from your employer or a payslip
  • A copy of your most recent tax return
  • Bank statements for the past 3 months

Where is the JB Morrison office?

We have offices located in Wellington and Rotoura.

Wellington Office: Level 19, 105 The Terrace, Wellington CBD.

You can access our office via Farmers by taking the lift to level 7. Once you’ve reached the Terrace Plaza take the second lift to level 19 of JB Morrison House.

Rotorua Office: Level 3, Cnr Fenton & Pukaki Streets, Rotorua

Our friendly receptionists are available to point you in the right direction and collect any of the documentation you were required to bring along with you.

If you are driving to your appointment and would like a car park during your meeting this can also be arranged. Please call our reception ahead of your meeting on 04 472 0020 or speak with your lawyer to arrange this in advance.

Book your Consultation

If you have a family matter you would like to discuss with one of our lawyers, please get in touch today. We can help you determine your eligibility for legal aid and FLAS and support you through the process.

Contact our family law experts:

For More Information

Not sure what advice or guidance you need, we can help? Give us a call or read one of our helpful guides –

Family Law Experts - JB Morrison Lawyers